Dell EMC is making a statement with its newest server. The PowerEdge R740XD2 enterprise content server delivers the perfect balance of storage scalability, capacity, and performance in a space saving 2U design. Ideal for data-intensive workloads, this enterprise server is perfect for larger server environments with the need for both large capacity and high-performance storage.
Powered by Intel Xeon Scalable CPUs, the Dell EMC PowerEdge R740xd2 is a standard height 2U storage chassis. The front bezel peels away to expose the first row of twelve 3.5″ SFF drive bays. The first row of drives slides out exposing the second row of drives behind which required moving the fan partition further back in the chassis than we see in the standard R740 and R740XD.
Inside the server, there are dual Intel Xeon Scalable processors. Given the compressed footprint, and pre-heating by the 3.5″ drives, the launch configurations only support up to 22 core CPUs which each get 16x RAM slots. The PowerEdge R740xd2 also offers a hybrid configuration with up to 10x 2.5″ SSDs and up to 16x 3.5″ HDDs for evolving workloads. SSDs can be installed in the 3.5″ bays as well using adapters. Additionally, using 26x 14TB drives the server can hit up to 364TB in a 2U form factor or 182TB per U.
- Plan for future growth with 26 3.5” cost-optimized HDDs of large internal storage
- Minimize disruptions with front-serviceable, enterprise-class drives
- Drive performance with up to two Intel® Xeon® Scalable processors
- Tier data with a combination of 2.5” SSDs and 3.5” HDDs in a hybrid configuration
- Automate server and internal storage administration
- Media Streaming (Video Surveillance & CDN)
- Hyper-converged Infrastructure like WSSD or vSAN
- Hadoop (Ideal for cold storage with a warm tier option)
- Respond effectively to data growth
- Simplify data center management
- Maximize uptime and deliver comprehensive data center protection
Check out the data sheet for more information.